Is there corruption in Shell’s cooperation with the regime of Viktor Yanykovich? (Novo-Mechebilovskaya–100).
Shell corporation PR manager Valentina Gyekova does not agree with the fact that a phenomena called ‘Yanukovich regime’ exists in Ukraine. She claims there is no corruption involved in cooperating between the regime and the corporation alongside the Yuzovskaya licence area agreement.
Shell Novo-Mechebilovskaya-100 Drilling Well
Blizniukovskiy district, Kharkiv region, Ukraine
20 February 2014
- Ms. Gyekova, do you represent Shell corporation?
- That is correct.
- Does Shell realize that there is a corruption scheme in its cooperation with the Yanukovich regime on the Yuzovskiy licence area? Does Shell understand that?
- I do not agree with that.
- Don’t you agree that you are cooperating with the Yanukovich regime?
- What do you mean by ‘Yanukovich regime’?
- Regime means regime. The Voice of America calls Mr. Yanukovich’s rule a ‘regime’, so the term is widely used. Does Shell realise that its cooperation with such a regime can cause it losses on the international arena that will be bigger than the profit from selling the gas extracted here?
- I don’t agree with your point of view.
- You don’t agree. Is it your personal opinion? Do you know what your company thinks?
- First of all, I don’t agree with the way you formed the question as a representative of the company.
- Don’t you agree with the word ‘regime’?
- What does ‘regime’ mean exactly?
- Don’t you agree that ‘the Yanukovich regime’ is what is currently happening here in Ukraine? The Voice of America calls this a ‘regime’. What would you call it?
- I am not going to comment as a representative of the company. If you like, I can give you a comment as a citizen of Ukraine.
- Please do!
- As a representative of the company I do not give comments on the political situation in Ukraine.
- And there is no corruption scheme involved in working on the Yuzovskiy licence area? Do you think ‘Nadra Yuzovska’ company is a good partner?
- We conducted an internal investigation as to any corruption schemes related to Yuzovskiy licence area before signing the contract.
- An internal investigation? In his interview with the daily paper 'Tyzhden' Edward Chow said the corruption scheme was in place, according to the US laws. He said this before the contract with Shevron was signed.
- When Shell conducted the internal investigation of Yuzovskiy licence area, there was no corruption scheme.
- So Shell doesn’t see the corruption?
- We don’t.
Thank you very much.
YouTube Green Video®
Facebook Green Video
Google+ Green Video®
VK Green Video® EN
Twitter Green Video®